Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Personal Map

ARGH! I can't get a good image of this assignment to save my life for some reason. Anyway, for Illustration Word and Image we were given the assignment to create a personal map/self portrait. I will do my best to describe this project, as all the images I have suck. (In addition to photoshop, I need access to a good camera.)

I drew a map of the pacific northwest, where I have always lived. I wanted to the map to have a Tolkeinesque feel, but with my own cartoony line quality so it didn't appear as if it wanted to be taken too seriously. In acknowledgment to my habit of romanticising everything just to deal with mundane reality, I renamed various important locations to sound like something from a D&D campaign. They all have their own little map symbols too.


Legend: Locations North to South
- The City of Subdued Excitement (Bellingham, WA)
- The Emerald Vortex (Seattle, WA)
- The Hillfort of Newakum (house I grew up in, Chehalis,WA)
- Shrine to the Gaullic Soldier (plaque dedicated to my Father, Veteran Memorial Museum, Chehalis,WA)
- Port City of the Elves (Portland, OR)
- Cairn of the Two Brothers (burial site of my brother Jody and my brother Jesse, Santa Rosa, CA)
- The Golden City of Saint Francis (San Fransisco, CA)


I also included a brief biography, so I could further relate myself to the map:

Valerie Herron was born and raised in the Newakum Hillfort overlooking the Land of Sinking Sands. She spent many years swirling around in the Emerald Vortex until it transported her to the Port City of the Elves. She currently lives in the Witches' Castle and studies at the Persephone-Nyx Collegeum of Artisans where she is a neophyte scribe and painter. She plans to one day journey to the Golden City of Saint Francis to further matriculate and eventually explode in a supernova of Illustrative glory.

I drew a simple but accurate portrait of myself. I was trying to think of how I could make it a little more iconic, so I drew a heron circling around my head. I actually really like this image, and I'm toying with the idea of using it on my business cards.



Personal Map, ink on drawing paper
Illustration Studio I 2010

(yep, Journeys is misspelled. You know what rocks? Photoshop.)

No comments:

Post a Comment