Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Joanie B. Titles

This was an interesting project. It was apparently inspired by a personal friend of my Professor's, art rep Joanie Berstien. When artists contact her asking for representation, she sends them a list of phrases that they are to create illustrations for so she can get a sense of their work. This is a long list of clichés, things such as "Relax and Rejuvinate" and "Love and War." We were supposed to choose a few items from this list to illustrate. The point was that we would all come up with different ways to illustrate the same ideas. Much like the Commons assignment, this assignment was also challenging for me. I felt way out of my element. But I must say, I was pretty happy with the results.

"Wine Country" ink and goauche on drawing paper

Both sides of my family are from Sonoma County. People generally think of Sonoma County and they think of all the beautiful vineyards, all the rich countryside. My family is from the other side of the tracks, full of Hillbillies, Hippies, and Ghetto. Poverty, crime, and addiction problems everywhere. So this was a little homage to my roots.

"Think inside the Box" ink on drawing paper

Pretty self explanatory. I draw a good portion of my inspiration from historical art. 


"Swamp Thing" ink and goauche on drawing paper

This one is my favorite. Another huge aspect of my work is the figure and an element of fantasy/mythology.

I think these came out a little smarmy for my Professor's taste, but they generally went over pretty well.



No comments:

Post a Comment