Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Painting Final

My final project in my Oil Painting class was to create a master copy, and a response to that copy. As an illustrator, I feel that my illustrations rely on my painting, and as an illustrator of largely mythological themes, I feel largely influenced by the Pre-Raphaelites.

I chose to create a master copy of Gather Ye Rosebuds while Ye May by John William Waterhouse. It's not my favorite Waterhouse painting, but I felt that it was simple enough to provide for a good study, and I am really in love with the composition and color. Here is a study I did before beginning the oil painting:

Photobucket

Here are a few images of the final painting:

Photobucket 
Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May
oil on canvas 2010

Photobucket

Photobucket

I decided to create a response in the manor of Waterhouse. This is because I have been really influenced by his style of painting: Strong women, mythological subject matter, all painted in a naturalistic yet almost impressionistic fashion.

I also wanted to address the subject matter of this specific painting. While Waterhouse is known for the strong women and mythological femme-fatales in his paintings, Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May was inspired by this poem :

TO THE VIRGINS, TO MAKE MUCH OF TIME.
by Robert Herrick

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,
    Old time is still a-flying :
And this same flower that smiles to-day
    To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
    The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
    And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
    When youth and blood are warmer ;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
    Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
    And while ye may go marry :
For having lost but once your prime
    You may for ever tarry.

As a feminist, naturally this makes me cringe. I wanted my response to be similar in composition but way more empowering. I chose my dear friend Lissy to model for me. She is a modern Priestess of Isis. Here was a study I painted for this piece:

Photobucket

I decided to add a more esoteric element to the piece (to imply that the subject knows something you don't) I added hieroglyphs to the background. Here are a few images of the final piece:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The Priestess
oil on canvas 
2010

No comments:

Post a Comment